Monday, December 14, 2009

All Natural Cleaning


I don't know about you but I'm a little nervous about all the chemicals in my cleaning products. After learning what the ingredients are and how harmful they can be I've started to research my own cleaning recipes. For the past 6 months or so now I've been using 1 cup of white vinegar in a 32 oz spray bottle but I'm not really a fan of that vinegar smell. Today I was out of my cleaner and had to make more. I added a few essential oils to my water/vinegar mix and viola! The smell was gone and my house smells great! It even worked on those stubborn water stains on the water tray on my fridge! (seriously, I've been trying to clean that for years!)

Since winter hit I've been having a bit of an earwig issue and a few weeks ago I took a bottle of clove (seasoning mix, the same one you use in holiday baking!) and sprinkled it all over the outside of my house and since then I haven't seen a single earwig or spider! But to be safe I added 10 drops of clove essential oil, 20 drops of lemon (for cleaning and degreasing) and 15 drops of tea tree (for the antibacterial benefits). So far it's been just as effective as using Windex! It's even great on the windows!

So just to recap, the recipe is
in a 32 oz water bottle add 1 cup white vinegar
The best oils for cleaning are:
Tea Tree (anti-bacterial)
Lavender (anti-bacterial)
Lemon/ orange (cleaning and degreasing)
Clove (amazing natural pest controller)

As a rule of thumb don't mix more than 3 essential oils at a time. Mixing too many might not result in the best smelling product!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tips - I have a friend who is making her own soaps so I may borrow a few oils at first from her until I find my fav. but I like the idea of keeping the spiders away!!! Thanks,
    Amie @ http://funfrillsnmore.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete