Did you know that most beauty products are made with so many preservatives that can actually be harmful? Here I have a list compiled of some of the potential dangerous synthetic ingredients that the industries use.
Diethanolamine (DEA), Monoethanolamine (MEA), Triethanolamine (TEA) -
These chemicals disrupt hormones and are now known to even cause cancer! They are found in products that bubble (such as soaps, shampoos, etc.)
FD&C Color Pigments-
Can cause skin sensitivity and irritation. Absorption into the body can cause a depletion of oxygen.
Fragrances are used in most products to hide the odor of the other ingredients. Fragrance ingredients do not need to be listed because of formulation, or trade secret, laws. The symptoms of these fragrances include headaches, dizziness, rashes, skin discoloration, allergic skin irritation, etc. Fragrances can also effect the central nervous system causing depression, hyperactivity, irritability, etc.
This is a solvent by-product of petroleum. You can also find isopropyl alcohol in antifreeze! It is often used as a solvent to dilute essential oils. Breathing in the fumes can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, etc. It can also be deadly if even 1 ounce is ingested!
PEG is an emulsifier used in cleaners to dissolve oils and grease and is also used as a thickener. PEG's are also used in oven cleaners and are very effective in drying out skin!
PG is used as a wetting agent or solvent and is the main ingredient in antifreeze. I was very surprised to learn that in the factories where the products are made the EPA requires that workers wear protective gloves, body suits, and goggles because this chemical is so toxic. the MSDS warns again skin contact because it can cause brain, liver, and kidney abnormalities. Wow.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or Sodium Laureth Sulfate-
"In tests, animals that were exposed to SLS experienced eye damage, along with labored breathing, diarrhea, severe skin irritation and corrosion, and even death... according to the American College of Toxicology. Studies indicate that SLS kept young eyes from developing proper structural formation. This damage was permanent. " (Mark Fearer, Dangerous Beauty)
"One of the most dangerous of all ingredients in in personal care products, Research shows that SLS, when combined with other chemicals can be transformed into nitrosamines, a potent class of carcinogens that cause the body to absorb nitrates at higher levels than eating nitrate-contaminated food.... Stays in the body for up to 5 days." (The American College of Toxicology)
So now my question is: Why are there no warning labels for the harmful side affects of these products that we use daily? Why are the industries allowed to expose us, including our children and infants to such harmful ingredients day after day and none of even be educated on the possible consequences?